SWS Coaching Ltd Code of Ethics is based on the ICF Core Values and the actions that flow from them. All values are equally important and support one another. These values are aspirational and should be used as a way to understand and interpret the standards. All SWS Coaching Professionals are expected to showcase and propagate these Values in all their interactions.
Section 1: Responsibility To Clients
As an SWS Coaching Ltd employee, I:
- Explain and ensure that, prior to or at the initial meeting, my coaching Client(s) and Sponsor(s) understand the nature and potential value of coaching, the nature and limits of confidentiality, financial arrangements, and any other terms of the coaching agreement.
- Create an agreement/contract regarding the roles, responsibilities and rights of all parties involved with my Client(s) and Sponsor(s) prior to the commencement of services.
- Maintain the strictest levels of confidentiality with all parties as agreed upon. I am aware of and agree to comply with all applicable laws that pertain to personal data and communications.
- Have a clear understanding about how information is exchanged among all parties involved during all coaching interactions.
- Have a clear understanding with both Clients and Sponsors or interested parties about the conditions under which information will not be kept confidential (e.g., illegal activity, if required by law, pursuant to valid court order or subpoena; imminent or likely risk of danger to self or to others; etc.). Where I reasonably believe one of the above circumstances is applicable, I may need to inform appropriate authorities.
- When working as an Internal Coach, manage conflicts of interest or potential conflicts of interest with my coaching Clients and Sponsor(s) through coaching agreement(s) and ongoing dialogue. This should include addressing organizational roles, responsibilities, relationships, records, confidentiality and other reporting requirements.
- Maintain, store and dispose of any records, including electronic files and communications, created during my professional interactions in a manner that promotes confidentiality, security and privacy and complies with any applicable laws and agreements. Furthermore, I seek to make proper use of emerging and growing technological developments that are being used in coaching services (technology- assisted coaching services) and be aware how various ethical standards apply to them.
- Remain alert to indications that there might be a shift in the value received from the coaching relationship. If so, make a change in the relationship or encourage the Client(s)/Sponsor(s) to seek another coach, seek another professional or use a different resource.
- Respect all parties’ right to terminate the coaching relationship at any point for any reason during the coaching process subject to the provisions of the agreement.
- Am sensitive to the implications of having multiple contracts and relationships with the same Client(s) and Sponsor(s) at the same time in order to avoid conflict of interest situations.
- Am aware of and actively manage any power or status difference between the Client and me that may be caused by cultural, relational, psychological or contextual issues.
- Disclose to my Clients the potential receipt of compensation, and other benefits I may receive for referring my clients to third parties.
- Assure consistent quality of coaching regardless of the amount or form of agreed compensation in any relationship.
Section 2: Responsibility To Practice And Performance
As a SWS Coaching professional, I:
- Adhere to the Code of Ethics in all my interactions. When I become aware of a possible breach of the Code by myself or I recognize unethical behavior in another SWS Coaching Ltd Professional, I respectfully raise the matter with those involved. If this does not resolve the matter, I refer it to a formal authority (e.g., SWS Coaching Ltd SLT) for resolution.
- Require adherence to the Code of Ethics by all Support Personnel.
- Commit to excellence through continued personal, professional and ethical development.
- Recognize my personal limitations or circumstances that may impair, conflict with or interfere with my coaching performance or my professional coaching relationships. I will reach out for support to determine the action to be taken and, if necessary, promptly seek relevant professional guidance. This may include suspending or terminating my coaching relationship(s).
- Resolve any conflict of interest or potential conflict of interest by working through the issue with relevant parties, seeking professional assistance, or suspending temporarily or ending the professional relationship.
- Maintain the privacy of SWS Coaching Ltd and use the SWS Coaching Ltd Member contact information (email addresses, telephone numbers, and so on) only as authorized by SWS Coaching Ltd or the SWS Coaching Ltd Member.
Section 3: Responsibility To Professionalism
As a SWS Coaching Ltd Professional, I:
- Identify accurately my coaching qualifications, my level of coaching competency, expertise, experience, training, certifications and Credentials.
- Make verbal and written statements that are true and accurate about what I offer as an SWS Coaching Ltd Professional, what is offered by SWS Coaching Ltd, the coaching profession, and the potential value of coaching.
- Communicate and create awareness with those who need to be informed of the ethical responsibilities established by this Code.
- Hold responsibility for being aware of and setting clear, appropriate and culturally sensitive boundaries that govern interactions, physical or otherwise.
- Do not participate in any sexual or romantic engagement with Client(s) or Sponsor(s). I will be ever mindful of the level of intimacy appropriate for the relationship. I take the appropriate action to address the issue or cancel the engagement.
Section 4: Responsibility To Society
As a SWS Coaching Ltd Professional, I:
- Avoid discrimination by maintaining fairness and equality in all activities and operations, while respecting local rules and cultural practices. This includes, but is not limited to, discrimination on the basis of age, race, gender expression, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, disability or military status.
- Recognize and honour the contributions and intellectual property of others, only claiming ownership of my own material. I understand that a breach of this standard may subject me to legal remedy by a third party.
- Am honest and work within recognized scientific standards, applicable subject guidelines and boundaries of my competence when conducting and reporting research.
- Am aware of my and my clients’ impact on society. I adhere to the philosophy of “doing good,” versus “avoiding bad.”
Section 5: The Pledge of Ethics of The ICF Professional
As an SWS Coaching Ltd Professional, in accordance with the Standards of the Code of Ethics, I acknowledge and agree to fulfil my ethical and legal obligations to my coaching Client(s), Sponsor(s), colleagues and to the public at large.
If I breach any part of the Code of Ethics, I agree that SWS Coaching Ltd in its sole discretion may hold me accountable for so doing. I further agree that my accountability to SWS Coaching Ltd for any breach may include sanctions, such as mandatory additional coach training or other action necessary in line with the code of ethics